I super crazy love to read. I’ve been bummed because I wrote a reading list for 2013, but then I left home for 4 months for my internship and immediately after that all of my books got packed up and put into storage where they have been since September. A bunch of the books on my list I haven’t been able to find at a local library here.
I have read a couple of good things though recently, and I figured I might as well list them out. Here are my favorite five from the last couple of months:
1. The Girls Who Went Away by Ann Fessler. The book is about girls who were strongly coerced into giving their children up for adoption. I’m a huge fan of adoption for kids who don’t have parents, but this book was a great, although heartbreaking look at just a few of the many girls who were forced to give their children up.
2. American Wasteland by Jonathan Bloom. Freaking awesome. If you aren’t horrified by the amount of food wasted in the United States, you will be after you read this book. It is definitely a must read.
3. The Dark Monk by Oliver Potzsch. I’ve read all the books in the Hangman’s Daughter series and I have loved all of them. Somewhere on the fence between mystery and suspense, they are well-written and entertaining.
4. The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell. Just read this book. If you don’t read a single other book this year, read this one. It was fantastic. It kept me confused until the very end. Usually, I find that I can whiz through books, and while I find lots entertaining, it tends to be few and far between that a book is so well written that I savore the dialogue between characters. This book was a great story, believable, and every tiny detail about the writing was perfect.
5. Tomorrow There Will Be Apricots by Jessica Soffer. This book had a good plot and it was the perfect length. I still wanted a tiny bit more, but I was satisfied with the way the story ended.
And here’s a list of everything I’ve read since June. Not even gonna lie though, some of them have sucked!
1. Unplanned by Abby Johnson
2. Compact With the Devil by Bethany Maines
3. The Glass Wives by Amy Sue Nathan
4. Sleepless Nights by Sarah Bilston
5. The Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber
6. The Beggar King by Oliver Potzsch
7. Wally’s World by Marsha Boulton
8. Taking Eve by Iris Johansen
9. The Working Poor: Invisible in America by David Shipler
10. Beautiful Day by Elin Hildebrand
11. A Can of Peas by Traci DePree
12. The Debt by Angela Hunt
13. The Dilemma by Penny Vincenzi
14. Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury
15. Food Inc by Karl Weber
16. Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
17. The American Way of Eating by Tracie McMillan
18. The Glass Room by Simon Mawer
19. Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain
20. The Body in the Piazza by Katherine Hall Page
21. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
22. Gone With the Woof by Laurien Berenson
23. The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier
24. Etched In Sand by Regina Calcaterra
25. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
26. The American Way of Poverty, How the Other Half Still Lives by Sasha Abramsky
27. Spend Well, Live Rich by Michelle Singletary
28. Family Pictures by Jane Green
29. Your Money and Your Man by Michelle Singletary
30. Sycamore Row by John Grisham
31. Time Flies by Claire Cook
32. Philida by Andre Brink
33. The English German Girl by Jake Wallis Simons
34. Ten Things I’ve Learnt About Love by Sarah Butler
35. The Power to Prosper by Michelle Singletary
36. She Rises by Kate Worsley